S-114.300 Topical Lectures on Information Theory and Modeling
- Prof. Jorma Rissanen, Doc. Helsinki University of Technology
- Dr.tech. Jukka Heikkonen, Lab. of Computational Engineering, HUT
- M.Sc. Tommi Nykopp, Lab. of Computational Engineering, HUT
Dates and Place:
- Lectures and exercises:
9.4.2002 and 16.4.2002 at 9-12 room G (main building)
10.4.2002 and 17.4.2002 at 9-12 room N (main building)
11.4.2002 and 19.4.2002 at 9-12 room G (main building)
- SHANNON'S INFORMATION (COMPLEXITY)
- Basics of Coding
- Kraft Inequality
- Shannon's Theorem
- BASICS PROPERTIES OF ENTROPY, RELATIVE ENTROPY AND MUTUAL INFORMATION
- Channel Capacity
- Equipartition Property
- UNIVERSAL CODING
- Lempel-Ziv Codes
- Algorithm Context
- Arithmetic Codes
- KOLMOGOROV COMPLEXITY
- Universal Algorithmic Models
- Kolmogorov Sufficient Statistics
- STOCHASTIC COMPLEXITY AND INFORMATION IN DATA
- Universal Probability Models
- Maxmin Problems
- Prediction and Coding Bounds
- MDL principle
- Linear regression
- Jorma Rissanen's lecture note: ``Lectures on Information Theory and Modeling''.
You can download the lecture note here:
( lectures.ps ) ( lectures.pdf )
- Thomas M. Cover and Joy A. Thomas: ``Elements of Information Theory'',
John Wiley & Sons, 1991.
You can download the exercise work description here:
- Requirements: Attendance in the lectures and exercises. The course
also includes an exercise work related to the subject.
- Language: The course will be given in English.
- Registration: To the email address given below by 8.4.2002,
or during the first lecture.
For registration and any other information contact:
Tommi Nykopp, M.Sc.
Laboratory of Computational Engineering
Helsinki University of Technology
Tel: 09-451 4843
Fax: 09-451 4830
This page is maintained by
This page has been updated 13.05.2002